> On Sep 20, 2018, at 3:25 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Certainly here in the UK many formerly "civic" services have been privatised
> and are run for out-and-out commercial gain

Parliament's landuse isn't landuse=retiail, right?

You are thinking of *amenities and services* - not buildings and landuses.
That's what I am talking about.

Mapping shop pins and civic buildings are different.

If you live in a town where your city council office is in a mall store front,
please feel free to drop a pin on a mall building.

But we aren't talking about that.

We already have plenty examples of Civic services in commercial / retiail
buildings.

For example: A DMV "registration reneweal" office in a strip mall is a point on
building=retiail, landuse=retail, amenity=shopping_center.

You can find post offices and other government services in a store front in a
mall (La Mesa, CA post office in Grossmont Center mall, for example off the top
of my head). There might be other government admin/services in commercial/
retail office complexes - but that is a commercial building, on a commercial
landuse!

What about public city hall buildings on dedicated land? Legislative body
meeting buildings? What landuse do they get? The Same one as a chip shop?

Similarly, almost every large city hall or regional government building in
Japan has a convenience store in the basement. They are required to be there,
so there is a 3rd party cashier for revenue stamps. It is a tenant in a little
4x5m room in city hall. Our regional city government office has 4 (private)
restaurants on the 32nd observation floor. Those are pins on the building too.

The convenience store or restaurant is a pin in the city hall building on a
civic_admin landuse.

A standalone public town hall **building with external amenities that belong to
the building**, let alone town hall complex of many Civic buildings should
never be on landuse=retiail.

Yep, never ever ever on landuse=retiail.

Never. Which is why I am proposing Landuse:Civic_admin.

Javbw.