I also support this simplification of definition and tags.

Is there a possibility to indicate that a tower is specifically a landmark
with a tag of some sort without knowing the height (most of them are not
publicly known around here) ? Because some are really useful for navigation
(visible from a long way) while other are only visible from up close.

I was personally using the communication_tower tag only to indicate that it
is a landmark when it is an especially huge tower (and that was the only
difference between a tower and this, to me).