> I am not sure adding drinking_water on bars or pubs would do us a favor. For
> one it might be up
> to the discretion of the current staff  how they respond to your request (and
> could depend whether
> you have already consumed something there, know the barkeeper, are
> accompagnied by babies or
> children, the staff has a good day or not, etc.).

This proposal is for tagging those premises who are *willing* to
provide free tap water unconditionally and who at the same time are
willing to advertise the said practice publicly.

There are various movements that can be joined. Also, the next
movement could very well be started on OpenStreetMap itself -
volunteers could refer to OSM when asking the owner for consent or the
owners themselves can add this information given a user friendly form.
This could also result in more mapping activity in general.

> There are also places that offer a drinking water tap with plastic cups or
> water bottles so you can serve
> yourself without asking anybody. (e.g. first pillar here is an accessible
> indoor fountain:
> https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/06/a0/ef/gelateria-palazzo-del.jpg
>  ),
> and this is quite different than having to ask the staff and depending on
> their discretion. How will it be distinguished?

Well, my original proposal strives to differentiate this with
drinking_water=yes (for taps) and drinking_water=ask (if given by
staff), but you are the only one to support such a distinction up to
now. Others in this thread would like to use the same tagging for both
cases. Could you please give a bit reasoning regarding pro & contra of
making this distinction?

> Pubs and bars usually will have opening hours, while drinking_water on a
> fountain is generally accessible 24/7.
> This can be seen from the data (combination with what), but it might be safer
> to explicitly use distinct tagging (unsure myself).

If we add drinking_water=* tags to a given premise (together with
amenity=pub) on the same entity (node or area), it is expected that
the opening hour is the same. This means that if the pub is only open
between 18-24h, then we should expect that the drinking fountain will
not be accessible at noon or at any other time when the pub is closed.
If the tap resides in an open space, that means that opening_hours is
not shared between the two and they should be stored as separate
entities in OSM, one way for the area of the pub and its opening hour
(or a node somewhere within its boundaries) and another node
separately for the tap at its approximate location.