Am Mo., 22. Okt. 2018 um 01:17 Uhr schrieb Johnparis <ok...@johnfreed.com <mailto:ok...@johnfreed.com>>:

    I guess this means I am leaning towards Warin's argument. There
    are only 445 objects tagged amenity=embassy (if I read Taginfo
    correctly) so this would be pretty simple.

as of now there are almost 11500 amenity=embassy
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=embassy

Very few of them have the tag diplomatic=* !!!!

So I looked in 'my' area .. most of them did not have diplomatic=*.

So I have added the tag diplomatic based on the location (capital/non capital) and the content of the name (embassy/high commission/consulate general/consulate).
95 have been tagged embassy/high_commission in the capital.
And I have added some 33 consulates, 55 consulate generals.
They did conform to the 'rule' of embassy/high commission only in the capital.

Looks to be a relatively simple job... I don't think there should be any problem to adding the diplomatic tag as I have done using the information all ready available in OSM, but for safety checked with the locality.