On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 18:57, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> +1. If there is an accessible observation deck, I would see them as
> look-out towers, not sure if "observation tower" is the right term for
> these, might be confused with things like wildlife observation towers, but
> I may be misguided.

& I agree that observation tower doesn't seem quite right as most of the
things we are discussing were built for communications purposes, with
touristy bits included

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 19:08, SelfishSeahorse <selfishseaho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> According to this definition, short (< 10 m) antennae 'poles' on
> buildings [1] were 'towers'

They should probably be "poles", but as I mentioned earlier, there is no
OSM definition of poles, apart from power=poles:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dpole, support=pole
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:support, or the apparently
undiscussed (but used 4600 times!) utility=pole
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dutility_pole

As i've written in my previous message, guy-wires are used to
> stabilise tall masts. Therefore the absence of guy-wires doesn't imply
> that it's a tower.

But the engineering definition of mast is a "structure supported by guy
wires" so by that no guys = not a mast

> A tower is a tall, slim free-standing structure, usually with internal
> access. (Possible include from wiki: "Towers are specifically distinguished
> from "buildings" in that they are not built to be habitable but to serve
> other functions.")

The current tower definition says "A tower is a building, which is higher
than it is wide" - that may be better than tall, slim?

> Cooling towers or defensive towers aren't slim, but are still towers.

& we have separate tags for both of them

Imho, multi purpose is too broad.

I agree, but what's a word to describe something that's used for multiple
purposes?

Note that, for example, there are
> also bell towers with antennae inside.

Which I think would still be called a bell_tower, possibly also tagged as
communication:mobile_phone=yes

I think it would be best to
> either tag all purposes (e.g. tower:type=communication;observation) --
> which, however, might be problematic for data users -- or to tag the
> main purpose only.

But which of the two is the main purpose? Yes, they were built as comm's
towers but with a tourist sideline