Hi all,

a much simpler approach is to look into the respective constitution.

The Ukrainian constitution defines the state's territory in article 133. Other countries, like Germany do so as well, and Ireland does or has done so. France does not define its terriotry in the constitution, and the UK has AFAIK no constituation. Probably in both countires laws exist.

Thus I suggest to create a relation comprising the regions mentioned in that said article. It should hold the various name tags and a distinct tag (not "boundary", "admin_level", or "source") to indicate that it is a boundary according to the consitution, e.g. "legitimation=constitution" (and "legitimation=national_law" if not declared by the constitution). Countries where the constitution conincides with the de-facto border can just get the tag.

For Cyprus and Western Sahara, I have been unable to find the relevant documents. I'm cautiously optimistic that they can be modeled in the same way.

Given that there is at most one constiution per country, that those are designed to change infrequently and most countries are expected to conincide, this allows to add no-nonsense data without opening a can of worms.

Best regards,

Roland