On Saturday 05 January 2019, Markus wrote:

> I originally included the requirement for an isthmus in order to have
> a clear differentiation from capes, as the broader definition of
> peninsulas without the requirement for an isthmus overlaps with the
> (broader) definition of capes, see e.g. Merriam-Webster:
>
> [...]

To make this clear once again since this continues to be forgotten:  The
meaning of tags in OSM does not necessarily have anything to do with
the culture specific definition of the terms used for key and value
from some dictionary.  natural=cape means what it is used for in OSM
and this - at least until

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3452

had nothing even remotely to do with peninsulas.  This meaning is
described on the wiki (and indeed i tried to make it reflect the actual
use):

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural=cape

These are typical major capes:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/32532727