Hi!

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 00:40, Eugene Podshivalov <yauge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone please explain the difference between waterway=ditch and drain?
> As far as I understand the description on the English wiki they differ in
> usage:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway
>
> drain - usually lined with concrete or similar and used to carry superfluous
> water like storm water or industrial discharge
> ditch - used for irrigation
>
> But the Russian wiki says that irrigation waterways should be tagged as
> drains.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RU:Key:waterway

I can't find any information – neither on the English wiki nor on the
Russian translation – that either waterway=drain or waterway=ditch is
used for irrigation. They are both used to tag stretches of waters
carrying superfluous water, e.g. for drainage. As defined on the wiki,
the difference between ditch and drain is that waterway=drain is lined
with concrete or similar:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Ddrain

If you want to tag an artificial stretch of water used to carry useful
water for irrigation – as well as transportation and power generation
–, there is waterway=canal:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dcanal

Regards

Markus