Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 13:32:04 -0500
From: Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com>
To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
        <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Drain vs. ditch

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 1:05 PM EthnicFood IsGreat
<ethnicfoodisgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Then what would you call a natural waterway that is too small to be a
stream?
The Wiki says that a stream is small enough to be stepped over, but
gives no lower bound.

I can't think of many permanent watercourses around here that are
small enough to step over. Rock-hop, usually. Sometimes wade. I
personally don't switch from 'waterway=stream' to 'waterway=river'
until I'm telling myself that I might someday want to map the banks.

You can rock-hop https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/21811867291 in a
dry season if you're more coordinated than I am (I wound up with boots
full of water), but at 30 m across it's still a river. In springtime
that crossing is completely impassable.

The wiki description of a stream surprises me.  I always thought of a stream as something too big to step over.  In the area where I live, smaller waterways are sometimes called "ditches" (even if they're natural), and sometimes they're called "drains."  There is even such a thing as a "legal drain," which carries certain restrictions and requirements.

Mark