On 23/01/19 18:25, Peter Elderson wrote:
The rendering itself is a github issue of course, but it shoud be based on consistent tagging, which is a tagging list concern.

I slipped up in the contradicting paragraphs... I meant, an area landCOVER=grass within a landUSE=forest.

Main point is, let's recognise / support the growing use of the landcover key for the three main values: trees, grass and scrub. Then, bump the issues with the main renderers and editors. How to do that is not for this list, you are absolutely right about that.

Only after that step, rediscuss the landuse key.

This developed from a simple question of how to map a tree area that has holes in it of scrub etc.
A fairly simply question?

The simple answer is to map the tree area as a relation with;
natural=wood (even if not 'natural' as OSM acepts that the key 'natural' encompass things that many regard as not 'natural'), type multipolygon,
The surrounding closed way with the role outer.
Then place simple closed way/s for the hole/s tagged natural=scrub as appropriate .. and then place them in the relation with the role 'inner'.