On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 21:49, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We deal with indefinite objects more often than some people are
> comfortable with. (I've mentioned previously that my state has such
> things as county lines that are in part unsurveyed!)
>
> Rather than a new relation type, I think it would be simpler to tag
> the indefinite part of the boundary of whatever area feature with a
> key like "indefinite=yes". An indefinite boundary will normally have
> no reason to have tags of its own other than this one - because it
> would need to be a 'real' feature in order to have most of them be
> meaningful. It would ordinarily be there only to close a multipolygon
> topologically, and the tags of the multipolygon of which it's an inner
> or outer way would ordinarily be the only other information pertaining
> to it.
>
> If we try to fix "maximal" and "minimal" area, we'll simply run into
> more haggling- because the maximum and minimum do not have bright-line
> definitions, any more than the indefinite line does. We'll have
> interminable arguments over what land might and might not be
> considered part of a peninsula. I'd like to nip that in the bud by
> simply declaring that any choice is arbitrary, and that the drawing of
> an arbitrary boundary of an area feature should be informed in part by
> what the locals think. Is Wareham, Massachusetts on Cape Cod? I have
> no idea, but I bet that the locals have a rough consensus - and if
> they don't, that they'd at least be unsurprised if a mapper were to
> choose the Cape Cod Canal or the Plymouth County line as the cutoff
> with an 'indefinite' indication.
>
> Simply having the tagging allow for an 'indefinite line', I think,
> could be a near-universal solution to the fact that bays, peninsulas,
> channels, isthmuses, lakes with broad inlets/outlets, rivers with
> broad mouths, administrative regions with unsurveyed boundaries,
> mountain ranges,  etc. all are area features that have a distinct
> shape, except for the fact that part of their margin may be
> indefinite.
>
> Try as we might to make them go away, there are objects, observable
> and named in the real world, that are areas, part of whose boundaries
> are indefinite. Saying that such things can be only point features is
> shortsighted.

The only imperfection of indefinite=yes tagged only on the way that
connects the peninsula to the mainland is that this doesn't make it
explicit that part of the coastline – while not fuzzy by itself –
might or might not be part of the peninsula. (For example, part of the
coastline between – or even beyond – these two point [^1][^2] might or
might not belong the Presqu'île de Crozon [^3].)

Tagging the relation member roles for example outer:indefinite were
less imperfect, but still imperfect – like my previous idea with the
minimal and maximal area. Besides, it were incompatible with the
current type=multipolygon specification.

Another solution would be to admit that peninsulas – as well as bays,
channels etc. – inherently have fuzzy borders and that therefore
tagging the fuzzy borders differently is unnecessary.

[^1]: <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2007095790#map=13/48.2706/-4.2582>
[^2]: <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/534716211#map=13/48.2706/-4.2582>
[^3]: <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/9238102>

Regards