The oneway attribute, unaffixed or not, reflects the direction
a way may _legally_ be used in.  You're free to ignore it, but
may have to deal with consequences by law enforcement personnel.

Because in OSM each way has an inherent direction given by the
order of its node list (let it be D), it is a ternary attribute
allowing three values.  For a rather long time, it meant/means
that

- oneway=yes precepts usage along D
- oneway=-1 precepts usage opposite to D
- oneway=no does not precept a direction

Its namespace suffixed variants should by all have equivalent
interpretation.  By depending solely on D the interpretation
is indpendent of the left/right-handedness of a traffic system.

However, based on empirical data research people are about to
dilute the value of 'yes' to maybe mean -1 as well, depending
on ancillary conditions.  I strongly oppose such dilution for
the same reason I oppose using 'opposite_lane' as a value for
cycleway:right= or cycleway:left=

Regards,
cmuelle8