On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 14:36, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com>
wrote:

> In situations matching your description I think that either
> shop=supermarket or shop=country_store would fit.

There used to be a shop near me which wouldn't really match country_store,
convenience,
variety, or hardware.  It sold a bizarre mix of things.  No food
whatsoever, so not convenience
or supermarket.  No farm or garden equipment or clothing, so not
country_store.  Definitely not
cheap (if anywhere else sold something you wanted this place would be more
expensive) so
not really variety.

Like I said, it sold a bizarre mix of things.  Kitchen utensils and
equipment (but very little
electrical stuff).  Hardware like letterboxes, letterbox draught excluders,
wood screws (not a
wide selection), door bolts.  Dustbins.  Firewood.  Brushes and brooms.  I
rarely went in there
(after seeing the prices the first time I went in) but there was all kinds
of other stuff I barely
remember.  Two local newspapers reporting its closure described it as a
"hardware and
household goods" store, but the local pound shop carries a bigger range of
hardware than it
did, and neither match up to a proper hardware shop like B&Q (or even B&M).

The closest fit would be general, and even that is a very poor fit (there
were no foodstuffs).  But
that's the closest match to "household goods and other random stuff."

I have to ask what purpose is served by deprecating general.  If it were an
EXACT synonym of
one of the other shop types then remove it.  But it's not.  There are a lot
of grey areas in shop
types, so it makes sense to leave it.  Otherwise we end up deciding whether
we should force
a triangular peg into a square hole or a round hole.  There are around
3,500 general stores
mapped, about 0.1% of total shops.  Are we to assume that ALL of those
could be better
described with a different value?  Or are we to remove all rarely-used
values just because
they are rarely used?

--
Paul