On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:44 AM Mateusz Konieczny
<matkoni...@tutanota.com> wrote:
> My conclusion is that this is an old shop type, currently getting rare but
> there are still some valid uses
> but many cases would benefit from retagging to more popular shop values
> (where shop=convenience/supermarket/country_store describes it well).

General stores, while not as common as they once were, still exist in
the rural communities that I visit - so please don't deprecate the
tag!

They often function as grocery stores, but also will generally offer
tools and hardware, clothing, home goods, camping supplies, bait and
tackle, dry goods, and paper goods - pretty much a little bit of
everything, albeit with a more limited selection than you'd find at a
store in a larger town. The wide offering of general merchandise
distinguishes them from 'supermarket'. The small size and relatively
limited selection distinguish them from supermarket (also, not all
general stores sell perishable food). They're a lot more than a
convenience_store; they're typically the main or only store in the
village. They're surely not a variety_store, and are often overpriced
because many nowadays cater to tourists. (The villagers might drive to
the nearest sizable towm to shop.)

A country_store is something I think of as usually being located
outside a village because they need a lot more space. They'll offer
feed, seed, fertilizer, garden tools, and similar supplies. They often
have nurseries selling bedding plants and trees for planting. (Tractor
Supply and Agway are common brands in the US.)

https://www.hossscountrycorner.com/ is a modern example of a general
store. On visits there, I've bought a belt, a shirt, a half-litre of
methylated spirit, fifty feet of parachute cord, batteries for my head
torch, a pen, an ice cream cone, a phial of insect repellent, rice,
lentils, dried fruits and vegetables, dry sausage, tinned fish, toilet
paper, and I'm sure I've forgotten other things that I got there. (Can
you say, 'hiking resupply?') Oh yeah, a couple of zip ties, although
the guy behind the counter was kind enough to just give those to me
since I needed only a couple.

The other general store in the same village (unusual for one village
to support two, but Long Lake is a tourist town) might better fit
shop=supermarket since it has a fuller line of groceries, but it still
carries much more general merchandise than a typical supermarket. One
of its signs proclaims it to be a general store, which would influence
how I'd tag it.

When this one https://www.acmiller-re.com/ShowProperty.php?ID=407 was
still in business, I'd have dithered over whether it was general_store
or convenience_store and eventually flipped a coin It had more general
merchandise than shown in the pictures, which don't really show the
second building's interior, but maybe the buildings are being sold
separately. I'm certainly disappointed that the proprietor retired and
nobody else wanted the business. The last time that I resupplied in
that village, I had to mail myself a box at the post office because
there was nowhere to buy provisions. (I don't like to depend on
hitchhiking for resupply.)