As a mapper in Alaska, I rely heavily upon the USGS Topographic map layer
to provide names for geographic features. Alaska has many places that
perfectly fit the definition Warin provided from the Wiki:

*All current place tags are for either populated areas, or for larger areas
of County sized or bigger. The place=locality tag is useful for places that
have a specific name, but do not necessarily have any geographic feature or
population centre that could be used to attach a name tag to. *

Given Alaska's gold mining history, I encounter such places all the time.
There are countless old settlements, gold mining camps, road building
camps, airstrips, and even Native American villages scattered around our
immense state. Most are indeed abandoned and sometimes I add abandoned=yes
to the tags, especially if there is no longer any sign of habitation
visible on satellite imagery.

An Overpass query returned almost 190,000 nodes along with 417 ways and 46
relations tagged as place=locality, that are located in Alaska.

AlaskaDave

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand