There are named localities that have only the most tenuous of
identifiable features.

One example that I've visited is 'Sled Harbor'. It never had a
population. It was just a place where the woods were open enough that
loggers could store their sleds there in the summer. It's now right at
the boundary between protected wilderness and International Paper
land. Since there's an easement for the public to travel International
Paper's road (well, logging track), it's the farthest that one can
lawfully drive (well, force passage with a 4WD, when there isn't deep
snow or mud) to pick up or drop off a party. Because of this, hikers
still use the name. But it's really just a point where the
highway=track crosses into the boundary=protected_area. There's no
formal parking. It isn't the endpoint of the track, since it continues
in farther to abandoned logging camps dating from before the state
owned the Jessup River parcel. All that there is there is a sign
saying something like, "no motor vehicles beyond this point."  It is
still a place with a name.

It did come in from GNIS as 'populated place,' which it is not and
never was. Still, I don't see a good alternative to place=location for
it, so I'm definitely against the idea of removing locations
wholesale.