> ... As a rule of thumb i'd say something that can at least coarsely be
> surveyed on the ground by a single mapper during a single day is
> usually suitable to be mapped as a distinct named feature, provided it
> is otherwise verifiable of course.  ...

If everyone on Earth joined OSM and limited their mapping
to their own local knowledge using that rule of thumb, our map
would look like this :-)   http://bit.ly/2IGkgoj

Also, in regard to how 'sharp' the boundaries some of these
very large features are, if a person has a passing knowledge
of 'road cut' geology and mineralogy, they are incredibly
distinct, especially in the American Southwest. They are
also identifiable from DEM/DSM analysis, sometimes as
easily as coloring the elevation.

I somewhat agree that 'if' it was at all to go into OSM,
there would be a special interest group that would
ride herd on a specialized name space. These geologic
regions are essentially 'historical' features, some on
the order of a billion years :-)

Michael