On 18/04/19 00:02, Christoph Hormann wrote:
On Wednesday 17 April 2019, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
I believe many people are using natural=peak to add the name of
plateaus / mesas / tablelands.
Yes, that is definitely the case for buttes and small mesas - but then
again these are features that can be verifiably mapped based on local
knowledge.  However using a generic natural=plateau tag which is then
inevitably used by some mappers to cargo cult polygons around just
about any area of land elevated in some way relative to its surrounding
is not a good idea.

There are also 'points' and 'heads' to name a few other landforms missing in
OSM.

To say that they should not be mapped is to deny there existence.
It is not unusual to look for these things .. OSM failure to map them leads to
other sources being used.

If large features are not to be mapped in OSM then most countries will have to
be removed. :P

I see nothing wrong with creating natural=butte and natural=mesa with
appropriately tight definitions:  Both being surrounded on all sides by
cliffs or very steep slopes, buttes with a height larger than width and
mesas with a flat top (i.e. height variation across the top being
significantly smaller than the total height).