Hello everyone, this is a late addition to this thread (I'll start a new
one soon after I improve the proposal page), but I want to give an example
of a crossing that has lights but no markings that is traversed by
(guessing) thousands of people per day:
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=0fa511ff-b1e5-4011-b16c-d96c0c4ce8a5&cp=47.611664~-122.336542&lvl=19&dir=251.4678&pi=-22.174986&style=x&mo=z.0&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027.
Despite having a lot of interesting art, there is no way to distinguish the
crossing location from non-crossing locations via markings on the ground.

This is topical, as crossing=traffic_signals is often claimed to imply
crossing=marked.