> It is very common to see markings at traffic signal controlled crossings,
but I would not see them as a requirement, and I do not think it is written
anywhere that it should be.

I agree, and this is one of the criticisms I list for this tag. Every time
I have made this criticism - here or with a wider OSM group - several
people have chimed in to say that they've never seen a crossing with
traffic signals but no markings and thought it was a moot point. There's
one right now responding a bit condescendingly in another thread, in fact.

> From my understanding, it seemed not interesting for most mappers to
distinguish traffic light controlled markings from unmarked ones, and you
will likely have a hard time to convince them (as this thread shows) to
retag all crossings just because there may be exceptions or situations
where it may be relevant.

This is not the sole problem with the tag, so that is not a fair
characterization of this proposal. There is also no part of this proposal
asking anyone to remap their own past work. But I'll push back: as best I
can tell from old mailing list archives and the wiki, these tags did not
emerge from any attempt to map "interesting" things, let alone adequate
ones for pedestrians, but were simply intended to replace the UK-specific
zebra, pelican, toucan, etc tags. You can even see, "uncontrolled" morph
meanings ad hoc. Finally, I get several emails per month from
municipalities and civic tech groups that want to map these exact things,
and I have no legitimate schema to give them. I say this because there are
actually very few tagged crossings, despite the numbers or retagging
seeming impressive at first glance - they will be dwarfed in short order by
any real attempt to map these features.

> In your example it could even be interpreted as if there were some kind
of "markings" (different paving, designated pedestrian waiting area), but
moving forward, the next crossing does not, so we can safely assume it is a
situation that actually occurs.

Hmm, I'm not seeing any markings on the ground (on the street) that
distinguish the crossing location from the street at all.

> I would suggest to tag the exception, i.e. the absence of crossing
markings where there is a pedestrian traffic light controlled crossing,
with an additional property for the crossing node.

I'm not following, could you give an example?

Best,

Nick