> What can be done here is to basically define that the different crossing=*
> values imply default values for various other tags (the same way as the wiki
> currently already documents what e.g. crossing=zebra or crossing=pelican
> implies).

I'm interested in this, in theory, but doesn't it actually imply redefining
those 2.5 million tags? Previous mappers were never told these meanings, nor do
I think they had them in mind. Redefining those tags post-hoc is actually a
harder problem to address via editors / QA / data consumption than deprecation.

Nothing I said changes the meaning of any existing tags. You seem to be one of
very few people that is incapable of understanding the existing tags, and you
shouldn’t be projecting your seeming inability to understand them onto all
mappers.