> Such purely implied crossings would be crossing=unmarked, and under the
"do not map local legislation" rule, I would only map them if they have a
physical presence (e.g. lowered kerbs).

If we only mapped marked crossings and/or ones implied from curb ramps,
then most sidewalks would be disconnected islands and everyone would be
unhappy. There needs to be some tag representing the pedestrian network
that spans across the street, which is what crossing=unmarked seems to be
for. Maybe it's not an we need a new tag?