On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 at 15:51, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

> Where do you take this assumption from? I have never heard before that
> residential may not be used for through traffic?

Many residential roads are cul-de-sacs.  Dead ends.  Not classed as through
roads because
they don't lead anywhere except the houses that are on them.  Others can be
used as routes
from A to B but there are other routes that are shorter/wider/faster or
some combination of those.
And then there are tertiary (or higher) roads which lead from A to B but
which also have houses
along them.

A cul-de-sac, which many residential roads are, can never be used by
through traffic.  Roads
used by through traffic can have houses on them.  It is useful to make a
distinction in a way
that makes sense.

Of course, the situation is not the same in all countries.  Many towns and
cities in the US are
laid out in a grid plan and most residential roads can carry through
traffic.

So the (unwritten) rule isn't so much that residential roads may not be
used for through
traffic but that if (in normal circumstances) it's used for through traffic
then it's not a
residential road even if there are houses along it.

You could make a case that some roads can be both, but we don't have a way
of tagging
that situation in a way that is widely understood by data consumers, with
routers being the
most important type of data consumer to consider.

--
Paul