On 1/9/19 10:31 pm, François Lacombe wrote:
Hi all,

flood_prone=yes doesn't sound to be good semantics.

Think those are the words used on signs, so for English areas they make sense..

Should we rewrite it as floodable=* with 3 or four big level of probability (or causes, or whatever) instead?

I don't think floodable is right .. to me it says that a feature has a tolerance for flooding, once the flood is past the feature is ok. Where as flood_prone says the feature may be under water (flooded) from time to time. After the flood flood_prone says nothing about the recovery of the feature from the flooding.

Many people raised concerns about yes/no tags and the key name seem to contain two distinct information (floodable + probability) while the value meaning could be improved.

Furthermore, such work can be useful for many hazard description.
This proposal is interesting : https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/hazard

Floods can also occur on river banks surroundings when hydropower is in operation upstream
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-July/037973.html
Here is what is often displayed : https://imgur.com/a/TLhZcgE

All the best

François