On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 10:03, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> When we say "a cafe in an old church" we think of a building that has
> certain properties that make it discernible as a church even long after
> it ceased to be one; however, depending on location and denomination,
> you might also build a church using a blueprint for a plain community
> centre. In that case would it still be building=church becasue that was
> the original, intended use? What if apartments are put into an old
> factory building - building=industrial and ...?

I think ducks are important.  Most people know what a traditional church or
chapel
look like.  Navigational instructions might be "Carry on up that road until
you see
a church on your left, take the next turn to the right."  This church
https://goo.gl/maps/yyXYZcucuWwpyu7z9 quacks like a church.  This chapel
https://goo.gl/maps/tJ7XDt6tCM1xcyR89 quacks like a chapel.  And this church
https://goo.gl/maps/w5ce112JVP5C7cCE9 honks like your five-year-old found
your
stash of vodka, got hammered, and then started playing with his Lego.

Some buildings are recognizable for what they are (or were).  Others are
not.
We live in an imperfect world, so we use our judgement (however flawed that
might be).

--
Paul