On 11/09/2019 14:50, Paul Allen wrote:

I said that if it was a church and looks like a church then tag the building as
a church even if it now functions as something else.

Buildings don't have a 'type'. There's no 'class', no standard architectural style or size. A quick image search proves that.

OSM "is a place for mapping things that are both real and current"

'building=*' is to indicate its current usage.

/If/ there's an insistence on recording it's original usage, if actually *known*,not just observed, then an appropriate *clearly defined* tag should be used. Something along the lines of 'original building use".

Frederik suggests "Everyone may be confused about this.". It's been evident for years that those who are perplexed are the ones who imagined a 'typology'. I believe they've based their assumptions on anecdotal observations around their own neighbourhoods. OSM is global.

DaveF