Dear all,

I crosspost this topic from [OSM-talk-be] for its relevance in other areas of
the card. I suggest in this mail to agree on a tag or create a new tag.

I would like to generate a map of EU buildings in Brussels similar to this
one: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/29697/qc0214964enn.pdf

However, I noticed that many buildings are not tagged accordingly, but instead
have only a POI.

For this reason, I want to ensure that the surface itself is tagged, so that
with a query such as http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/M6o a map can be generated.

Can you please advise me which tags should be used on building shapes and POI
to map EU institutions perfectly?

I looked for quite some time to find approriate tags, but I believe now we
need to introduce at least one new tag.

1) there is office=government and government=*

This does not cover the special jurisdiction. The European Parliament does not
belong to the country in which it is located (France), but to the European
Union

2) there is admin_level=1

It is not clear if this can be used on buildings that belong to international
organisations. Also it does not say which organisation in case of the European
Union

3) use of relations

according to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Relationen , relations are
not meant to cover wide-spread objects. However, European Union offices are
spread over the entire world (including their permanent representations).

4) there is operator=

One could set operator=European Union already to all EU offices, however, this
does not capture the administrative level.

5) there is diplomatic=

However, https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:diplomatic does not list a
value that would fit. Please proof me wrong.

Is there a standard for tagging of UN, EU, OECD, Red Cross, etc. buildings
yet?

Best,
Robert