On 08/09/19 01:24, Iago Casabiell wrote:
Well, as there is no clear consensus in how to classify between hamlets, villages, towns and cities, i'd tried to move the debate as best i could.

My goal would be to create a default algorithm to classify these places, but as jeisenbe pointed out, there are several criterias around the globe as to how to classify them, so i created that table to reflect the uses.

Maybe we could also mark the first row of the table with a global classification, for any new data entered in the OSM database, and try to move the existing ones toward it.

No. The world has differences in the way highways are seen and places are classified by the local populations. This has to do with history, population densities and wealth. Moving to a theme that suits one area of the world will leave other areas of the world poorly mapped. It is expected that a major town in Germany will be big in area, but a major town in Africa can be small in area, have less population but it is 'major' as it provides local services that are not available for long distances.

the alternative is just to reflect the uses of this tags in different parts of the World.

Some local guides and lists have discussions on this topic. For example see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Places. I also remember discussion on the uk list.