>I can see some value in mapping routes through a
>room which is full of obstacles, but I don't like
>the idea of using this where a routing graph
>could be calculated from indoor=corridor/area/room
>polygons just fine.
>While the slow progress of OSM-based routing
>engines in this regard is regrettable, trading
>extra mapper hours for something that could be
>realistically automated always seems wasteful to me.

Yes, I've thought that this the best way to handle routing with SIT...but is
this more of a potential solution or research project versus something that can
be used for indoor routing in the near term. There would be a non-trivial
amount of work involved, for sure, to add this tagging. It amounts to mapping a
building in SIT, then going back to map indoor routes.

The issue of obstacles is big, though. There is a huge number and variety of
obstacles indoors, both temporary and permanent--everything from sunken floor
pits to stationary exhibits, all kinds of things. We can make up tags, of
course, but for the most part I think a lot of this will just not be mapped. I
think about different kinds of rooms, like a lobby where the best route is a
straight line from door to door, versus a conference room where there are
usually varied arrangements of tables or temporary seating that always leaves
an aisle down the center of the room or around the walls; some of this is
venue-specific. I work with a lot of travelers who are blind and for whom those
kinds of decisions are not apparent. For example, a few months ago I guided a
colleague through a museum that used temporary walls to display artworks within
a large gallery room (which formed a series of "traps" for him), and changed
the layout of these walls every few months. They always used a common walkway
that would be easy to mark, though, and much more feasible to maintain than all
those movable walls.

I'll add a statement emphasizing that this is to be used in addition to rather
than instead of SIT. The points about using highway=footway instead of another
tag are important ones, and I'll add them to the discussion section.

Jeremiah