On 10/09/2019 11:28, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
That seems like a bad idea because aerodrome:type is one of the ways
that mappers distinguish between military and non-military airfields.
military=airfield + landuse=military is the standard way to do this.

I wasn't making any comment about what may or may not be the "standard" way to do this; just saying that aerodrome:type is one of the ways that mappers distinguish between military and non-military airfields.

Compare:

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/McF

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/McE

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/McG

You'll notice that in that area (and I'm sure elsewhere) that there are edge cases - "military=airfield + landuse=military" won't exclude Cambeltown, which has the old IATA code in OSM but isn't currently landuse=military.

You didn't mention military at all in your initial email, which seems like an omission.

Best Regards,

Andy