On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 10:28, Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to Wikipedia:en <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus>:
> " A *bus* (contracted from *omnibus*,[1]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus#cite_note-EB1911-1> with variants
> *multibus*, *motorbus*, *autobus*, etc.) is a road vehicle
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_vehicle> designed to carry many
> passengers <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger>."
> with the possible subclasses:
> " Buses may be used for scheduled bus transport
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport_bus_service>, scheduled
> coach transport
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_(scheduled_transport)>, school
> transport <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_transport>, private hire,
> or tourism <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_bus_service>; promotional
> buses may be used for political campaigns
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_campaign> and others are
> privately operated for a wide range of purposes, including rock and pop
> band tour vehicles"
> The official German term is "Kraftomnibus"
> <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibus>

I had a look at the road sign you mentioned later in your message.  I
couldn't tell if the symbol
meant a bus, a coach, or both.  So I ran it through Google Translate.  This
is what came back
for "Kraftomnibus": "buses and coaches."  Wikipedia may use a more generic
form of English,
but most speakers of British English do not interpret "bus" as including
"coach."

> Unfortunately in OSM the term "bus"
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Buses>is used for public-transport
> buses only:

Unfortunate, perhaps, but not wrong.  Because OSM uses British English.
And in British
English "bus" is usually used to mean scheduled public transport other than
coaches (long
distance routes may be served by coaches that run to a timetable but we
call them coaches, not
buses).

Even Google Translate recognizes that whilst German has the term
Kraftomnibus to cover both
buses and coaches, English does not (at least, I can't think of one).
Interpreting British
English "bus" in OSM as meaning "coach or bus" is, I think, somewhat
dubious.

" *Buses*, *coaches* and *trolley buses* are forms of public transport
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport> that operate
> mainly on the road network. The system consists of bus routes calling at
> bus stops and bus stations and have a number of related features."
> (also to note that in OSM "coaches" are included in the category PT-bus)

Depends on the type of coach.

We have coaches on long-distance routes, they are timetabled, public
transport, but carry
luggage, are designed for comfort rather than mass transit, and typically
have just one stop
in any given town or city.  Local regulations for a particular road could
permit buses but exclude
that type of coach.  Coaches may have a dedicated stop or share it with
local bus services.

We also have coaches that are irregular, taking people to holiday
destinations or on day trips.
The comments in the preceding paragraph also apply to these, except there
are usually only
two stops, at the termini.

And (answering to another question somewhere in this discussion) there are
> cases where we need in OSM an access tag for these generic buses, for
> example to map the access restriction announced by this road sign
> <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildtafel_der_Verkehrszeichen_in_der_Bundesrepublik_Deutschland_seit_2017#/media/Datei:Zeichen_257-54_-_Verbot_f%C3%BCr_Kraftomnibusse,_StVO_2017.svg>
> .

This is the real problem.  We use "bus" in the British English sense for
public transport
(marking bus stops as per PTv0/1/2).  But some infer that bus=yes means
"bus/coach" for
access.  Not only is that confusing, not only is it reading more into
British English "bus" than
there is, but it may be factually wrong: local regulations for a given road
may permit buses
but prohibit coaches.

We could have a generic "bus-shaped vehicle carrying passengers" tag, for
access.  I think
it is going to be cleaner to add coach=yes so we can have access=no +
bus=yes + coach=yes
rather than have access=no + bus_and_coach=yes and then, one day, find out
we have a
rare case of a road where coaches are permitted but buses are not.   Having
bus=yes
and coach=yes tags allows us to map access by one, the other, both, or
neither.  Also I
suspect that many existing bus=yes tags were added with no thought as to
whether or
not coaches were permitted, despite those whose language has a word meaning
"buses
and coaches" inferring that the British English word "bus" means the same
thing.

Given the orginal "sin" of wrongly limiting the term "bus" to
> public-transport buses in OSM

Or is that the original sin of assuming the British English term has the
same meaning as
the German one?

(which I believe cannot be undone),

I agree.  Not feasible.

> we need to sort this out by creating other terms.
> I have no proposal for this, but the original proposal of defining
> positions where non-PT buses load/unload passengers is basically a good one.
> The real problem is to properly define different classes of
> mulit-seated-motor-vehicles-with-more-than-8-seats, and then revisit the
> existing tags accordingly.

Yes.  For access, I think coach=yes fixes the problem.  For stopping
positions, there are at
least two cases: a dedicated stopping place for coaches, not used by buses;
and a bus stop also
used by coaches.  Which was part of the OP's problem.

But that is complicated by the type of coach: long-distance timetabled
coaches could (and
probably should) be rendered the same as ordinary bus stops.  But stops for
coaches taking
people to holiday destinations or on day tours should not.  Rendering those
the same as
ordinary bus stops means that if your car breaks down and you wait at a
nearby stop it might
be one where the next holiday coach is in 3 months.

I've just convinced myself we need to differentiate between timetabled,
long-distance coaches
and the other kind.  Because regular, timetabled, long-distance coaches
are, in many ways,
just comfortable buses that can carry luggage (but may have different
access rights on some
roads).

I am sure when we look closer at different countries we detect all kinds of
> hybrids.
> One, which I know first hand, is an on-demand night-bus system (in
> Padova, Italy)
> <http://www.padovanet.it/notizia/20190318/night-bus-nuovo-servizio-di-autobus-notturno-chiamata>
> that is operated by the company that runs the city's scheduled day-time
> PT-bus lines. This night-time on-demand service has no fixed routes but
> allows pick-up/set-down of passengers only at the stop locations of the
> scheduled service.

Here we have a couple of operators where you phone up at least a day
beforehand and
arrange to be picked up/set down where you specify (as long as it's safe).
So a bit like your
example, except not limited to regular stop locations.  Mine are
unmappable.  Yours could
probably be mapped, but I don't have a good suggestion as to how, other
than a relation
of some kind).

--
Paul