> which coincidentally can match (or not match) the distance

Well noted. The reference to a location marker used in an address
rarely gives the exact distance. It is an approximated value with low
precision, unlike the tag distance=* that is used with
highway=milestone that is supposed to mark the exact distance of a
road where distance=* is based on an engineering project, usually with
high precision.

> Think of the ‘milestone’ as a point of reference. The ‘milestone’ only
> provides a general idea > of how far or how close you are to a destination.
> Once you go beyond and reach the next
> ‘milestone’ you may need to turn around and go slower to find what you are
> seeking.

Perfect! That is exactly what happens in real life when someone is
seeking an address based on location markers once the precision of the
distance used in addresses is low.

> Wow, that makes them really useful.  It's a road marker that's not made of
> stone, shows kilometres
> rather than miles, and the number shown is wrong.  So you want to call it a
> milestone.

The number shown is not exactly wrong. It is approximated and its
precision can vary up to ~1km because most of the values used in
addresses do not show precision in meters. Examples of common values
are Km 256, Km 7.5; and never Km 97.47247764, for example.

> that you should not use the term "milestone" but something like
> addr:distance or
> addr:road_marker  or whatever, because there are no milestones

addr:road_marker seems to be appropriated but highway=milestone, even
misleading its name can be, is already in use and I think it would be
better to keep a relation between their names.

I do not mind what name would be used as a tag to map this address
information as long as a tag is created to map it. However, I
understand the need to create a well-named tag that would be
applicable worldwide and I hope this does not stop the creation of
such tag whatever your name.