On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 at 22:54, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> currently your proposal is a description of the physical appearance of the
> feature, but for highways what is needed are usually functional and legal
> definitions. A cycleway is a way designated for bicycles, a motorway excludes
> slow traffic, and so on.

And a pedestrian lane is a designated lane for pedestrians. Sorry, but
i don't understand how the way i defined it differs from how the
features you mentioned are defined.

> To make sense of a pedestrian lane it would either have to bear implications
> on different modes of transport (e.g. in Switzerland motor vehicles can use
> this lane, unlike sidewalks or other footways), or we would have to state
> these for every instance of it (like we do for example with gates).
> currently the proposal doesn’t say anything about it.

Adding all the legal informations (use by all vehicles/bicycles
allowed/prohibited, use by pedestrians mandatory/encouraged) to every
single pedestrian lane in one country would be highly inefficient and
is also discouraged in our "Don't map your local legislation, if not
bound to objects in reality" rule. [1] I'd suggest collecting the
legal informations in a table on the wiki. Later, when we will
hopefully have a way to tag defaults, this informations could then be
transferred to the boundary=administrative relation.

Of course, if a single pedestrian lane has a locally marked or signed
exception, that single pedestrian lane should be tagged accordingly.

[1]:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice#Don.27t_map_your_local_legislation.2C_if_not_bound_to_objects_in_reality