Hi,

On 11/7/19 18:19, Greg Troxel wrote:
> My point is that we have a lot of mappers and a set of norms (which are
> pretty fuzzy and/or a bit contradictory).  We have rules about
> mechanical edits (including imports), since they change things in a
> large-scale systematic way.

Yes. If you are a programmer and instruct your code to change all A's to
B's in OSM then it's a mechanical edit and rules apply (because much can
go wrong, aka "with great power comes great responsibility" etc).

And if you are a boss and instruct your 5000 employees to change all A's
to B's that should be treated similarly. That's why we have the
organised editing guidelines:
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Organised_Editing_Guidelines

> So I'm not opposed to large-scale paid editing; i just think it needs
> some caution and that the guidance to paid mapeprs needs to be
> published to the OSM community.

The guidelines request that, among other things, "if participants will
receive training material or written instructions, a copy of, or link
to, these materials" should be published.

Generally, if an organisation does not follow the guidelines and this
leads to problems, they should be held accountable & their edits are
liable to being reverted. Of course one would start with a friendly
pointer...

Bye
Frederik