sent from a phone

On 7. Nov 2019, at 18:54, Jmapb via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see any reason why data
consumers, including the bicycle modes of routing engines, should ever
interpret bicycle=no in a way that permits walking bicycles.

the tag “bicycle” according to the access tag wiki page is about
"cyclists": https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access and the context
is that it is about the vehicle (and not for example a professional cyclist
walking or driving in a car). Whether or not this includes people pushing a
bike may depend on the local legislation. It is not uncommon to see the
mode of transport as the mode of transport (i.e. if you are walking but
carry a bicycle, you will typically still be considered a pedestrian). In
Italy and Germany at least, but likely in many other places, bicycle=no
means you may not ride a bike there, but it also means you can push a bike
or even motorbike unless there are restrictions for pedestrians as well.

This is exactly why we have a bicycle=dismount tag.

IMHO we have this tag because in some places there are signs that state:
"cyclists dismount".

Carrying a bicycle is an edge case that might deserve its own value --
bicycle=carried works for me. And if we need further refined values to
explicitly permit a folding bike or bike-in-a-box, no problem:
bicycle=folded, bicycle=boxed.

It is not a super rare edge case, people carrying folded bikes in a
carrying bag is common in some places, e.g. train stations or subways. I
would see this as a different kind of restriction if you are not allowed to
bring certain things with you even as a pedestrian (e.g. no food, no
beverages, no bicycles, no firearms, no fireworks, no animals, no camera
equipped cellphones, no umbrellas, no google glass, no hats, ...), hence
would not reuse the "bicycle" key for stating this.

(Special permission for extreme weather should be encoded with some
variation of the conditional access tag scheme.)

+1