> On Nov 11, 2019, at 11:16 AM, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> "it should be tagged on a way drawn with the lower side on right side
> of way direction" - Tag:man_made=embankment

for some reason, I remember reading documentation about using a pair of
embankment lines to denote the extent of the embankment, using the direction of
their ways as an indicator. I didn’t come up with that on my own. this was
during the embankment=yes => man_made=embankment change.

 - I really love the top-lines of the embankments, as these embankment tops are
not uniform in shape - but I will delete them if it is bad tagging.

- if I delete the “top” lines of the embankments, and use the man_made=dyke as
the center of the summit of the levee, would there be some advantage to putting
it and the embankments into a relation for possible better rendering of their
extent (shading, hashes, etc)?.

- Because the levees vary wildly in shape on the top, sometimes widening for a
short area to 50-100m wide, would repurposing the top-line embankment ways as
mapped to tagged with some kind-of “riverbank-style” tag, where the
man_made=dyke way shows the path, and man_made=dyke on a polygon shows the
extent, similar to how natural=river is used now? for smaller levees, this
detail is unnecessary, but for such large features used by so many people, the
detail would be nice. it is very easy to map their extents, especially since I
am doing the mapping via ground survey on a bike 70-100km at a time.

examples of the levee top widening for a short space, usually for levee break
emergency repair stations (large caches of breakwater blocks with
helicopter/crane hooks, stationed above the flood zone on top of the levee).

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.30063/139.51192
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.30063/139.51192>
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.26097/139.63921
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.26097/139.63921>
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/35.97705/139.89813
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/35.97705/139.89813>

I really want to map the levees in as much detail as I can, as detail often
helps with map interpretation (at high zoom levels) while travelling along the
levees by car or bike, but few people seem to be interested in them.

Javbw