> I really love the top-lines of the embankments, as these embankment tops are
> not uniform in shape - but I will delete them if it is bad tagging.

It's not bad tagging, you should keep these. (make sure that the lower
side is on the right hand of way direction)

> would there be some advantage to putting it [man_made=dyke line] and the
> embankments into a relation

It isn't necessary OSM relations for things that can be determined by
the database users just by looking at the spacial relationship between
two features. In this case, database users could look for
man_made=dyke ways which are roughly parallel and close to a
man_made=embankment way.

> man_made=dyke way shows the path, and man_made=dyke on a polygon shows the
> extent ... similar to how natural=river is used

We use two tags for rivers: `waterway=riverbank` (or natural=water +
water=river) for the area and waterway=river for the central line of
the river.

If you want to do this, you need a different tag for the area. My
suggestion was area:man_made=dyke, in analogy to area:highway, but
man_made=dyke_area or =embankment_area would work, or any other new
tag with a clear meaning.