On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 18:03, Dave F via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> 1 Is plaque the best name? Our Wiki quotes Wikipedia as it being vertical,
> but that seems a bit restrictive to me.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:memorial%3Dplaque

The wiki actually says "typically attached to a wall, stone, or other
vertical
surface."  Typically, not always.  I've seen memorial plaques that are about
30 degrees to the horizontal.

2. Are there any alternatives to 'memorial' which again, seems too
> specific/restrictive,  tourism=information, information=plaque maybe?

For the example you give, calling it a memorial seems wrong.  It isn't
commemorating
anything.  memorial=plaque is often used with historic=memorial.  The wiki
for that
says "A feature for tagging smaller memorials usually remembering special
persons,
peoples lost their lives in the wars, past events or missing places."

I'd say that tourism=information + information=plaque is better.  You could
maybe
go with tourism=information + information=board + board_type=geography but
few people would expect to see a horizontal board.  Since information says
user-defined values are OK then information=plaque.

If somebody can come up with a word for plaques set in the ground, then go
with that.

--
Paul