Good point. I would say roundtrip is the service provided. But if a route
is designed for roundtrip service i.e. if you remain seated you end up at
the starting point, roundtrip becomes an attribute of the route. However,
most PT allows you to book or perform a roundtrip. Because even if you get
off and later back on, even on a different vehicle and/or by a different
route, it's still a roundtrip, no matter the layout of the routes.

(Nederand used to have roundtrip tickets, priced at 1 1/2 the cost of two
separate single way tickets. You could get roundtrip tickets ("retours")
valid on one day, or roundtrips with open return day. Now, we pay per
kilometer, so that's history. For now!).

In short, I think circular would be the better term if the route is
"circular". I would not retag, though. I am not a PT-mapper or PT datauser.
But I have to ask: is it absolutely clear what it means if a PT-route is
mapped as a roundtrip? Is this information really used?

Fr gr Peter Elderson