Let me try to describe the basic problem: we are interpreting the key
"oneway" with two different meanings:
(1) "restrictions for the flow of vehicle-only traffic" for example in the
widely used case of mixed-use foot-cycle-ways that are one-way for
bicycles.

(2) "restrictions for the flow of any type of traffic, including
pedestrians" when we talk about using oneway:foot=yes|no|-1

That cannot work unless you can neatly separate the two domains of
applicability, which we can't as we have mixed-use ways.
We are discussing in circles around that issue.

It looks as if definition (1) above is widely used whereas (2) much less so.
To me the logical conclusion is we need a separate new key for (2). Let's
define it to be the string of (meaningless) characters "oneway_foot". We
need to add that all ways with the key "highway" carry by default
"oneway_foot=no" in addition to the default "oneway=no".