Kirribilli means 'place across the water'.

Should these be recorded in OSM?

I think not.

On 24/1/20 9:01 am, ferdi98...@gmail.com wrote:

So if I understand you correctly I’d suggest something like name:literally and name:XX:literally which describes the literal meaning of words

*From: *marc marc <mailto:marc_marc_...@hotmail.com>
*Sent: *Donnerstag, 23. Januar 2020 22:51
*To: *tag <mailto:tagging@openstreetmap.org>
*Subject: *[Tagging] a kind of name:XX-modern-not-used

Hello,

some words in the name of some street is not understood by some people.

these are often old notations, sometimes borrowed from another language

but used in the official language to name this street.

street sign have those "one-name-but-in-mixed-language" and only that.

a contributor spends time trying to find the meaning of these words and

replaces the name with a modern version, absent both from the ground and

from use, in favour of a name that is the one that could have been

written if this street had been created today.

it's a bit as if this contributor added to Big Ben name:fr="Grand Ben"

or "Nouveau York" for "New York"

it's obviously wrong. but how could we keep track of the meanings

of the words from the old days?

I thinking about a kind of tag name:fr-modern-not-used or a kind of

name:etymology but which does not inform a person but an object, a

building, a profession, ...

Any ideas?

Regards,

Marc