On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 14:57, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I saw reference to this site a little while back (ironically, the morning
> of the White Island eruption in New Zealand :-()
> https://volcano.si.edu/faq/index.cfm?question=activevolcanoes
>
> So what do we say: 43 / 70 / 565 / 871 or 1428? :-)
>
> https://volcano.si.edu/faq/index.cfm?question=eov_noteworthy
>
> Or possibly the 71 "Frequently Active" listed here?
>
> As they say, it's hard to point at a volcano & say it's active or not!

Responding to my own post after looking at the site a bit more

How about using the common terms that everyone recognises, together with
OSM definitions of:

Active - Known to have had major / multiple / fatal eruptions; frequently
active; significant lava flows - the 186 volcanoes that are listed as
"Noteworthy"

Dormant - probably the 1428 "Historically Active" - confirmed & likely
historical eruptions (mixing historical & Holocene together)

Extinct - ain't nothing happening no more! :-)

This does, of course, relate to using info from that list. Do any of our US
friends know how helpful the Smithsonian is when it comes to sharing data?
https://www.si.edu/termsofuse/

  Thanks

Graeme