On 3/2/20 3:45 pm, John Willis via Tagging wrote:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:bicycle_parking

looking over the discussion page, they added =floor in sept 2017 (in response to various questions) to not only be a =surface substitute, but for it to be combined with building=yes to tag fully enclosed bicycle parking buildings (not sheds, nor covered=yes roofs, but full buildings). I understand the reason - so the type of stands can be tagged onto an existing building=yes polygon (rather than using something like parking=multilevel).

Currently, =floor makes up 0.15% of usage (256 uses), the lowest of all the documented values (compared to stands at 109,000 / 63%).

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/bicycle_parking#values

this may seem like a little thing, but there will thousands more if just Japan is properly mapped.

I understand the need.

I don't think the solution of using surface will do.

surface=paved says nothing about if the bicycle can be secured and what too.

Nor does it say anything about how the bike is held.

The bicycle_parking key is used for lots of things...

buildings/sheds

stands/racks

A very poor key!

I think the key should be replaced.

Buildings and sheds already have a key building=* so those values can be depreciated.

Stands/racks are all indications of how the bike is held while parked.

bicycle_holding=stand/rack/bollard/post/* ?

Then the issue of securing the bicycle?

bicycle_secure=lock,supervised,provided_lock,*

???