On Friday 07 February 2020, Marc Gemis wrote:

> I still do not understand why area=yes is a bad tag.

I never said it was.  I said area=yes currently has one *and only one*
meaning - to indicate a closed way is a polygon.  Since this is such a
fundamental low level distinction in the OSM data model - comparable in
a way to the type=* tag on relations - overloading this tag with
additional meanings would be ill-advised and there is visibly no
consensus among mappers for such an additional meaning.

> I have little hope that you will revert the change and take a
> different approach.

That is not up to me.  I have given my assessment to what options have a
chance for achieving consensus among maintainers.  For a simple revert
of PR 3844 this is unlikely.  Same for any change that interprets
area=yes beyond the current established meaning for the fundamental
polygon vs. line string decision for closed ways.

I currently tend towards a broader solution of dropping rendering of all
barrier tags on polygons.  I originally was under the impression that
use of barrier tags as a secondary tag for landuse polygons etc. was
consensus among mappers based on the fairly large use numbers for that
(>350k) but it quite clearly isn't.  So it would make a lot of sense
for OSM-Carto to stop indicating this is valid tagging.  This would
open a path for the various solutions already discussed - like
introducing a new tagging scheme for indicating a polygon to
be 'enclosed by a barrier' or by strictly adhering to 'one feature, one
OSM element' without implicit tagging of barriers.  As indicated
before - it would in principle, if any such solution finds support by
mappers, in the long term be possible to interpret barrier tags on
polygons as 2d barriers again but it might be a better idea - as Joseph
indicated - to use a different tag than for linear barriers to avoid
confusion.  Using the same tag for 1d and 2d representations always
bears the potential for problems (like leisure=track for example).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/