> Why would it matter to someone that there is another highway going into the
> opposite direction of where they want to go, that someone considers to be
> part of the "same road"?

Besides statistical purposes, it could be used for rendering at mid
zoom levels.

Many highway maps in the United States have a different rendering for
"divided highways" aka "dual carriageway" roads.

Often it looks similar to the current highway=trunk rendering at in
the German map style used at openstreetmap.de - and I believe
"highway=trunk" is always for dual-carriageway "expressways" there.

Also, a dual carriageway road might be preferred in routing when all
else is equal.

> limited_access

I should explain this further. In American traffic literature at
least, we talk about whether a road has frequent access to adjacent
properties and parking lots. Sometime this is called "controlled
access".

If there are lots of service roads entering, that will increase the
risk of collisions and slow down traffic. Roads called "expressways"
usually have no or very few service roads entering, so they have
"partial access control"  and most motorways have "full access
control" - you can only merge on to the motorway from a link
(on-ramp).

Motorways are almos always fully "grade separated".

My understanding is that not all highway=trunk roads have full or even
partial access control in most countries. Certainly in the United
States this varies greatly.

> replacing "expressway" with "trunk"

Do you mean retagging all ways with key:expressway as highway=trunk?

That would be treating highway=trunk in the German way, as a property
which combines a number of characteristics. But in Alaska, Oregon,
California etc, many mappers prefer to use highway=trunk for the top
level of intercity roads which are not motorways, without considering
number of lanes, access control, etc - in remote forest areas even the
busiest road does not need grade separations. And also, expressway=*
is used differently in some States, as mentioned on the wiki page:
sometimes it is about limited access, other times it's about grade
separation.

- Joseph Eisenberg