sent from a phone

> On 22. Mar 2020, at 15:13, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ummmmm, the name is everything?  So if it's named "Foo square" it's a
> place=square
> even if it's not a place for people to congregate and it's not square?

yes.

> Take a look
> at Finch's Square (aka Finch Square):
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.08304&mlon=-4.65750#map=19/52.08304/-4.65750
> It's not square.

squares can be of all shapes, triangular, rectangular, poligonal (regular or
not), elliptical, round, etc.

> As rendered there appears to be more pedestrian space than there
> really is, it's basically roads with standard-size sidewalks.

pedestrian space is not a requirement

> It's not a place for
> people to congregate and (possibly) have public functions,

any open space can assume public functions and used to congretate. If a
sufficient number of people goes there, any space will become pedestrian

> it's effectively the town
> bus station, as can be seen here: https://goo.gl/maps/UjG2pbgG1kRSBu1bA
> I wouldn't use place=square on it, even though the name is "Finch's
> Square."

strange, why not?

>> So how does a mapper know when to use place=square?  Because the geometry
> is square?  They're not all perfect squares.  Because it has "Square" in its
> name?

yes, square or a related word that refers to an open space (as opposed to
linear road/street)

> You can do a wildcard search in overpass for that, you don't need a
> place=square (but you'll also get the bus station above).

it’s not that simple, one of the conplications is the plethora of local names
and variations.
And then there would still be the question what tag to use. If you want to tag
squares as a feature (i.e. one square is one OpenStreetMap element), would you
suggest to use just a name?

Cheers Martin