Am Mo., 23. März 2020 um 01:39 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>:

> > A blanket rule that anything with "Square" in the name must be mapped as
> place=square is as defective as one saying that anything with
> "Maes" in the name must be mapped as a field.
>
> Right, and it only works for languages that have a shared cultural
> heritage (European languages).

maybe. It works here. Perfectly. place is inherently about toponyms. That's
what it is for.
If we need a tag for an open air area where people can gather, let's invent
another word for it. Square is not the tag for it.

> In Indonesian, features that are like
> squares are named with the same word used for grassy fields and
> meadows: "lapangan", and parks use the same word as "garden": "taman".
>
> That is why we need an actual definition of place=square that isn't
> simply "a town square", because I need to be able to translate it into
> Indonesia, for people who have never seen a European town square. I
> suspect that Japanese and Korean will have the same problem, along
> with many other non-European languages.

Maybe you do not have to use the tag at all, if there is no concept for it
("streetname" for objects that are not directed, linear streets but squares
= undirected, public open space in a street context)?

I'm asking honestly.

Cheers,
Martin