I'm all for specifying elevation of mountain peaks etc in other datum which
may work better than WGS:84.

I think it's better to specify which datum the value is in, it'll be a
nightmare over time working out which datum the original mapper intended as
new datums are rolled out and are upgraded, and leaves confusion if there
are multiple datum in use.

ele:<datum>=value

Where <datum> is the height datum.

Next question is then how to specify <datum>, in Australia we commonly use
https://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/positioning-navigation/geodesy/ahdgm/ahd,
so could use ele:ahd but that probably collides with other anachronisms
globally so is not ideal. There is an EPSG code
https://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/5711/ for the datum, perhaps
ele:epsg:5711= is better then.

I'm not sure if there are any issues legally using EPSG codes, but presume
it's okay.