Martin
I am not an expert, but it looks as if the Wiki page Key:ele
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ele> is not up-to-date.
I thought that WGS84 uses the EGM96 Geoid, named "WGS84 EGM96 Geoid".
Hence there should be no difference between WGS84 and EGM96 elevations.

Also it would be helpful, f you could give examples of local elevation
systems which would need explicit tagging.
When I see an elevation value on the ground I do not see any reference to
the reference system, so I cannot know, as a mapper, what reference system
is at the base of the informaton that I find on the ground. In that respect
the proposal is not at all clear from a practical perspective.

Yours confused
Volker