On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 09:24, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 10. May 2020, at 01:31, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you use amenity=taxi + vehicle=* you
> > guarantee that any carto which renders amenity=taxi will render ojek
> ranks
> > incorrectly at first, and perhaps incorrectly for all time (if they
> decide they're
> > going to ignore the vehicle tag)
>
> it would only be “incorrectly” if you judged motorcycle taxis as not being
> taxis. In this case, you should not tag them amenity=taxi taxi=motorcycle
> anyway (because if taxi=motorcycle does not describe a subclass of taxi
> this is the wrong approach anyway).

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that even those who were arguing
that ojeks were a variety of taxi expected them to be rendered differently.
If not, why bother sub-tagging them?

> In this discussion it appeared that some mappers see motorcycle taxis as a
> kind of taxi, like boat taxis and helicopter taxis, and others that see
> them as their own kind of service.

 It doesn't just seem that way, that's how it is.  Technically, either
approach to
tagging would work.  One question is which way results in the fewest number
of
mappers (and end users using the query tool) being surprised at the way the
object is tagged/  The other question is which one gives the least
undesirable
results on renderers that support "ordinary" taxis but not the motorcycle
ones.

I think the best we can hope for from all this is that the OP mulls over
all the
arguments, does whatever seems best to him and also documents it in
the wiki.

As a side-issue, I'm not too worried if these discussions don't end up with
a formal proposal but merely inform somebody's decision about "any tag
you like."  What does worry me is that these things then go undocumented
and get used inconsistently.

--
Paul